Last modified: May 02, 2021
Most of the sport climbing I’ve done thus far is single pitch. Learning to climb multipitch is the first step towards “big wall” climbing. These are some random notes.
Other than the usual climbing gear needed (harness, etc.) there are a few additional pieces needed.
- 2 slings - 1 for personal safety anchor, 1 for the belay anchor/master point. The second one (belay anchor) will also be used for the rappel extension.
- 2 additional locking carabiners - for the belay anchor/master point.
- ATC - a traditional ATC belay device is needed for rappeling, cannot use Grigri for rappel.
- Prusik cord - needed for rapelling, prusik is a third hand.
- Helmet - negligibly optional (while climbing) for sport climbing, but is a must have for multipitch.
- Somewhere to put cell phone