While I haven’t ever shipped a desktop app to production, I’ve been fiddling with the different options and tech for building cross-platform desktop apps. Electron is huge in the Node JS and frontend world, so I try to follow the latest in this space.
- Electron - the incumbent “best practice”
- Deskgap - like electron, but uses native system browser
- Appify - Super simple way to wrap an executable in a macOS desktop app.
- Similar script as application approach - kind of sketchy.
- Tauri - Uses rust.
- sciter - no idea how it works, but is extremely lightweight when compared with electron. example app
- Neutralino - also uses system browser.
Side note: guide to distributing mac apps outside the app store - link.